Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Afternoon With Back Alley Grocers

Classes have begun and I am finally starting to get into a routine. Wake up, go to my eight o clock finance class, then economic development, then I walk back home for some studying and an early lunch. Back to campus by two for marketing followed by Arabic. Ahh, it's nice to have a stationary place to come back to. It's feeling more like home every day.

So, today I didn't go home right away, but walked around to find a few small things I needed (can of paint, some hooks) and buy some food for dinner. Nicole requested chicken, so I searched for the almost secretive covered food market that I had stumbled upon earlier this week. On a street south of school there is a little alley way that one would suspect as a dead end, but fortunately I had to have a look and discovered that after a little while it opens up into a large open building with a bunch of stalls built close to each other. The group of merchants mostly sell food and kitchen products. I found about five general grocers, a fish stand selling whole fish in buckets, and a bunch of meat sellers with sections of cows hung in the open and various meats under (unrefridgerated) displays: steaks roasts, whole legs, blood sausage, and more. I picked one that didn't look/smell too bad and asked for "dejaj, nuss kilo" (one half kilo of chicken) he had some in a box and put enough into a plastic bag and I paid. Then some potatoes and conversation with a one thoothed lazy eyed talkative merchant. After the food, I bought the paint and headed home stopping to rest as it was quite heavy. The whole time back I couldn't help imagining the lift being broken again and I'd have to lug the paint up ten flights of stairs. (Actually, I'd probably have the bowab do it. That's what he's there for.) Thankfully for me (and the bowab), the lift was in working order and I made it up without problem. I immediately began taping and painting my room, and now wait for a second coat. So here I am. It's evening and the night call just ended. Dinner will be on soon. --Don't worry, we'll cook the chicken quite well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you for keep up on your blog so well. Sorry I haven't commented yet. I was just thinking how well you are going to speak Arabic when you come back. Do you use it a lot?
Love,
Hillary

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a iron stomach the meat products sounds questionable at best.

Anonymous said...

You're GOOD. . . Soooo GOOD!!!

You're reading my mind, which was on the chicken the whole time since you first mentioned it. You BET it made me nervous! I admit it. . . I'm suspicious about the warm meat dripping and hanging there, fish looking one-eyed up at you from buckets, and the supposedly innocent little plastic bag-thingey he put the chicken into. -- so. . . the the chicken "didn't smell too bad. . . " -what a provakative little statement THAT was!!!

And then you tied it all up neat and tidy with a "Don't worry, we'll cook the chicken quite well"

As I said. . . "You're GOOD!"

Anonymous said...

I think cooking it for days might work...It's better when you just eat the meat prepared and don't see it before hand in the market. Love you

Anonymous said...

you scare me with you talk of walking down dark allies. Although I'm jealious, I would love to explore dark allies, discover little stores and get gross meat form sketchy merchants!!! Oh that sounds so adventurous! But no. I have to go to school. Oh school! I have 3 Honors classes, I'm hoping i can handle it!!! By the way, I've been praying that you can keep track of all your electronics, aka not lose them.

Love ya!
-Carrie

Anonymous said...

Hey Brother, I am a little worried about you traveling around and going into back alleys. Especially at night. Don't we have rules about not going down dark alleys? We would like to see you again.

I hope that you are doing well. I am pretty impressed by the pictures your camera is taking. I really like the colors! Keep going for it!

Love, Hill

Anonymous said...

I realized that you went in the afternoon. I missed that part. Haha!