Friday, April 13, 2007

Last Day

I last saw Kristi twenty one and a half hours ago. The airport had a glass walled security area surrounding the ticketing area so we were surprised to have to say goodbye so soon, and time didn’t allow us to linger. Just a quick hug and she was through, following her luggage which I had hoisted on to the x-ray conveyor. For twenty minutes I watched her through the glass as she waited in line, checked her luggage, and was handed her boarding pass. One last quick wave and there was nothing for me to do but go outside—back into waiting Egypt, and catch a cab home. My driver was probably disappointed for my haggling was insistent but without all the theatrics that make it satisfying once the deal is struck. By the time I fell into bed, Kristi’s plane was certainly in the air flying away from me at 500 miles per hour.

Somehow the pyramids had been shunted off to the last day. We were going to see them at the front end but ran out of time, and likewise, yesterday morning, we decided to push them off yet again. The things have been there for over 3000 years. Surely they will still be there the next time we find ourselves in Egypt again. We decided not to stress ourselves with a long haul out to Giza and confined our day around downtown. I made a persistent attempt to give Kristi a basic tour of campus but was thwarted by the “no visitor” policy (which was so frustrating let’s not talk about it). We re-visited Fishawy’s coffee shop and Khan Al Khalili to pick up some Egypt supplies for Kristi to bring home: Sahlab powder, saffron, Egyptian whisky (tea), scarves, shoes, scarves, shoes, and a nice Turkish coffee pot. At sunset, while Kristi was packing upstairs I walked over to Taboula, one of my favorite restaurants here—a Lebanese place, tasteful, very classy, very inexpensive—to make reservations. We were there 30 minutes later enjoying an array of middle eastern dishes and the cozy, quiet atmosphere. During dinner we both noticed ourselves struggling under a background heaviness. It’s like the day came with a shadow. Like we both knew something terrible was going to happen, and it was inevitable. OUR trip, the one we had both been looking forward to, preparing for, even dreaming about was now completely behind us. It was what it was and there was very little left to make of it. Not that we wanted to change anything, or make it better than it was. We both embarked with little or no expectations and very simply enjoyed each other and our time together. It was more that the opportunities to create memories together were dwindling and soon would be gone. The-2007-Egypt-Visit would soon be fixed in the past, and we would be apart again with only the task of reflecting and appreciating at a distance the depth that is hard to grasp within the thrill and happening of life.

Kristi finished packing. We took another swing by CafĂ© Zahara for conversation. A walk over the Nile. Picture business. Then the bags needed to get in the elevator. Call a cab. “Nathhab Illa Matar, Min Fundhlik” Wrong terminal. Wrong building. Running late. Departure Hall. Then we suddenly found ourselves stumbling into the very last part. Almost by surprise.



PS. we're getting married.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the heaviness the day before the separation. Leanne and would face that all the time when we were dating and she still lived in IA, but we usually saw each other ever few weeks so it wasn't as bad.

As far as a great vacation such as you are describing it can be a real let down and kind of depressing after it is all said and done. People many times think I am so picture crazy just for the sake of it, but in reality I hate loosing memories. Memories slowly fade away with time and can be lost if they are not revived somehow. It is almost like a high definition movie fading into an old black and white movie with now sound. To me pictures are like a small window back to when the memory was still happening. Looking at your pictures can bring you through the window back to the sounds, smells, smiles, and the good times as if they were happening again. I look forward to when you can get some of your pics online so we can share in those memories.


PS Congrats on the Engagement don’t forget to stop calling her your girlfriend and start calling her your fiancĂ©.

Emily said...

Wow Norm, deep thoughts. Colin i'm so happy for you I could burst...MY BROTHER IS GETTING MARRIED!!! Man two down and three to go, mom and dad are in the home stretch. I miss you so much, well I miss the whole rest of the family as well, being all alone in California is starting to take it's toll. I want us all to be together again like at Christmas, all 10 of us.

Anonymous said...

It's too bad the parting had to be so abrupt and unexpected; after so carefully planning your last day and hours together, it feels bad to have circumstances cut short a more graceful ending.

But after the heaviness of today, I believe the glow and memories of a wonderful and momentous time spent together will slowly re-assert themselves. And your pictures have created the permanence of history.

gregzavacky said...

I think your family has said it all, so I guess I'll just say congratulations!

Oh, and womens' ring detector skills are amazing, I completely saw that ring in the one picture and didn't even think twice about it. I have much to learn I guess.

Congratulations!

Carrie Paige said...

I'm so excited that you guys are getting married!!! The funny thing is since her visit right after Christmas, I've been missing Kristi!! Oh man I'm so excited for the future! I can't wait till Christmas when we'll all be together.
You and Kristi's sad parting makes me want to cry. But its very dramatic and its a great story to tell your children someday. Wow, the walkers totally rule the comments.

Carrie Paige said...

Ps. I'm still waiting for a phone call with details. Now I i have to get ready for school. Call anytime, I will literally walk out of a class to take your call.

Anonymous said...

Carrie check your email you I sent you all the details.

hillwalk said...

I guess I am lagging a bit behind on the comments, sorry about that. Still waiting for that email. Although I got a phone call so I shouldn't complain. And any response to the email will be a little late since I sent you that long email about a month ago! I was very excited to hear about your engagement. I already love Kristi and think you are a very blessed man. I miss you and hope you are not too lonely after she left.

Anonymous said...

Hi this is grandma; I'm thrilled about your announced engagement. God bless you, and your relationship. We have two exciting pics on the frig. One of you & Kristie, and one of Aaron and Danielle. Both couples look as though they are "in love" for life. We are rejoicing, and praising God for putting you two together. wow

Anonymous said...

We haven't heard much as of late.

Anonymous said...

Is that cuz he died after she left?