Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Friends

Over the weekend I dropped my laptop and broke the screen. Shattered it really. How typical of me. I didn’t think I could function without a computer so a few days ago I went to the computer mall, a big building a few blocks from AUC that is home to around a hundred little computer shops, to find a cheap monitor to hook up to my laptop. A few of the shops sold monitors and I found a place that sold all used/old screens “mish ghalee”. So I dropped a hundred guinea and walked out holding this dinosaur of a screen and managed to grab a cab back to my flat. I was so happy to have my screen I decided to set it up “alatool”. After ten minutes the screen was glowing and I was busy installing the software for my $10 webcam. It was then that I noticed the half-inch long “saraseer” (cockroach) sticking his head out from under the base of the monitor. Immediately, I flashed back to my friend Mark’s story about a friend of his who’s apartment building was being torn down because of an extreme cockroach infestation. She asked Mark if she could leave here television at his place until she could find a new apartment. He agreed. A few days later he thought to move the TV from the middle of his dining room over to the wall, and when he picked it up, twenty cockroaches bolted for cover. He never thought that the bugs would be living IN the television and from that day forward his house had it’s own cockroach infestation. Sad story. Well, all this dawned on me in a split second and I exploded from my room and ran downstairs to fetch the Raid. The can was practically empty but for fumes. I ran back up and grabbed the monitor without slowing and lugged it onto my balcony where I tipped it on edge and sparingly sprayed into the porous base. FIVE huge roaches wriggled out and I had just enough spray to kill them before they scampered out of sight. This was serious. I immediately brought the screen through my flat, careful that no roaches climbed out in transit, and brought it down to the street in the elevator. The bowab was there and I told him to watch it on the sidewalk while I ran to Isis Market to buy a new can of Raid. Once I got back I opened up the can on the monitor, eventually pulling off the back case to have better access to the insides. At first a whole pile of roaches tumbled out and I had to scramble to kill them all before they escaped. I sat out there for about an hour with the monitor in the middle of the sidewalk. The people walking by probably thought me a strange sight standing over it with my can of “mabeet a-saraseer”. Finally the bowab weighed in, (I think he was a bit amused at my frantic battle with the bugs) telling me they were probably all dead and I might finish upstairs on my balcony. I agreed and allowed him to carry it up and set it on the ledge outside my room. I was scheduled to have a call with Kristi that night so I hesitantly brought it in after a few more rounds of spraying until the thing was literally dripping. During our conversation about four more roaches tried to make a run for it from the monitor and each time they met their death as I talked. I knew I couldn’t leave it unwatched so I got a big garbage bag and put it in and sealed it up with a final blast of Raid. The next day I had daylight and a screwdriver. I took the front cover off and found their main hideout: a series of nooks in the plastic molding. They must have succumbed to the overnight fumes because the whole lot of them were dead. With one last series of Raid sprays I determined that, finally, I had beaten them and it was safe to bring the monitor in permanently(the monitor now no more than a bunch of circuit boards and a TV tube), although I have never really been at ease with it, even until now. Even though I was vigilant, there is no way to really know if one or two of the vermin managed to escape. I guess only time will tell. And thinking back I should have known better. The whole computer mall was infested with roaches. I saw one or two in half the shops I visited. And when the shopkeeper picked up the monitor to test it, I now remember the one little roach that ran for cover.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This just creeps me out. Lately I've been noticing that with summer brings more bugs...I hate bugs...all of them. Reading this story (even though dad told maybe three times before) makes me want to barf.

Anonymous said...

Colin is not telling you the whole story--On some occasions they have bats in that apartment too.

Anonymous said...

One more thought: Colin. Perhaps those little escape artists (the ones that surely got away while you were "busy installing your software"), will multiply and colonize your flat while you're in the states. How pleasant to imagine coming home to more friends than you left with. :) You could call it: Colin's Cockroach Penthouse.

Hey! The insects at my place are getting ideas from your cockroaches!..They must be using the world wide web.--At the moment, a teensy-weensy lone ranger is roaming aimlessly across the surface of my computer screen! I hope he doesn't mutate into a cockroach! huuggah!

ps. Not to bring up another bad subject, but I regret that there are no roachy photos to convince us all you are not just telling a tall egyptian tale.

Anonymous said...

This is an exciting tale with compelling visuals, eg, you, sitting on the street level dealing with the situation in the middle of foot traffic. It's also horrifying to imagine, what if you hadn't had the can of bug killer?

I've noticed that you have become very resourceful during your time in the Middle East. Solutions demand quick thinking and living outside the box (I'm recalling some of your travel adventures).

I'm looking forward to more of these stories.

M.

Unknown said...

well, hopefully the next story will be about something nice and pleasant. like bunnies. ..oh that reminds me. we were at the market yesterday and people were selling them for food...

hillwalk said...

Colin, as one of my sisters stated we have heard the story a few times from Dad. But it is a great hearing it from you too. I don't like cockroaches. I had one in the shower with me in Guatemala.

Anonymous said...

I once new a guy that repaired TVs and VCRs other misc electronics. He told me that cockroaches love electronics because people tend to leave them on and they end up being nice and warm. You would think that Cairo is warm enough that they wouldn't seek out someplace even warmer, but I guess that isn't the case. One time someone brought in a VCR that wouldn't accept a tape. He finally opened it up and there were so many cockroaches inside that he had to just throw it out. I guess some of them had gotten squished and had leaked on the circuits!

Quintessential Queen said...

Colin, I love how much your family interacts with you and your stories. It's pretty cool. I'm glad you have a family like that.