Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Alive and in Dubai

Hello from the Middle East! I have been on the go since I hit the ground Monday night. I found out why the flight was so comfortable from Chicago to London. I was flying in business class! This was a harsh realization as I walked to the back of the 747 for my flight to Dubai. I survived although a little more sore/tired.

The walk through the Dubai airport was simply amazing. The place was opulant, to say the least. I was amazed by the incredibly wealthy Saudis decked out in their checkered headgear, long flowing robes and thousand dollar luggage. Customs was simple enough, and I made it through with all of my belongings, including the five pounds of coffee that are meant to sustain my habit for the next four months. Most of the coffee I have had since arrival has been unimpressive at best. (But come on, bad coffee is always better than NO COFFEE!) (Left: self portrait at the Dubai Airport)


Exiting customs, I was greeted by a huge throng of hotel drivers waiting for various guest arrival. Behind them was the taxi stand, managed by a "Hurry! hurry!" Arab, who, if he could have, would have pushed each of us into our cabs.

My driver was particularly unfamiliar with the layout of the city. I have heard that in London, cab drivers have to pass a demanding exam in order to earn their medallion. I think Dubai cab drivers are supposed to learn on the job. Thankfully I had my map of the city (thanks Aunt Nola!) and after some broken attempts, I made it "Souk Deira Street" and a little hotel (which, at this time, I don't even remember the name). The place was 200 Dirhams per night. Don't worry because that is only a little more than 50 bucks.


The souk district is decidedly NOT a touristy kind of place, at night. All of the stalls are dark and the many hotels cater mostly to the lower middle working class from Pakistan and India. My hotel was cramped but quite clean and comfortable. The bellboy loaded me and my bags into a little elevator that felt more like a dumbwaiter or a laundry chute with a lift installed. I concluded that it must be safe as this kid seemed to have used the thing for years and was certainly still alive. (Right: a view outside a window at the hotel)

Dinner is being served downstairs, so I must cut this post short. I will finish later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Colin, does our comments show up on your blog? Because I thought I had made a comment but I did not see it. I am excited that you are finally there. Love you, Hill