Saturday, January 07, 2006

Tour By Taxi

This was my first chance to get some time to expore Dubai. Tim Fincher and I left the hotel and walked across the freeway (which was an adventure!) to Our old digs, The Sofitel Hotel at City Center. The hotel is connected to a mall, which we slipped in to for some breakfast at this bargain place that Tim heard about. It was a very english meal: Grilled tomato, mushroom, sausages, one egg, toast, some beef bacon, and. All of this for under 20DHS (which means, "Under six bucks")



We hopped a cab which took us to the Diera Gold Souk. We were bothered by "Copy Watches? Rolex, Movado, Omega.. Very Cheap!" literally every minute. I told Tim it was because he looked so American. I, of course, blended in naturally. (Right: On a Dubai Creek Water Taxi)

After tramping around the souks for a while we hopped a water taxi over the creek to Bur Dubai. Tim mentioned the Dubai Museum, so we headed over to it. The mesuem is set inside a fort which is the oldest standing building in Dubai. The place was restored in the mid nineties and converted into a Mesuem. The enterance fee was under $1 and was well worth it.



Dubai Meseum



After we finished downtown. We decided to check out Dubai's newest mall called "Mall of the Emirates" (oddly familiar?) The Place was colosal. I would say the largest mall I have ever seen. I am still awed by the strange contrast of traditional Muslims in full Hijab and Burka shopping at stores like Forever 21, and Calvin Klein! The indoor ski slope was closed, so we could only snap a few shots through the glass.

Mall of the Emirates (Central Plaza, Ski Dubai, Starbucks!)


Sheik Zeyed Road (Emirates Towers, Financial District Skyline, Starbucks!)


Sheik Zeyed road is the main thoroughfare betwen old Dubai (ie. the creek, souks, downtown) and new Dubai which is spinging up at an ABSOLUTLY GROSS speed from the financial district to Jumeriah Beach Residence (which is where AUD is located, sweet!). I cannot fathom how many of those huge construction cranes they had to import into this city. I am not exagerating. There must be at least two hundred highrises/huge buildings under construction right now. I'm not kidding. At least that many. Maybe more like 300.

Well, we ended the day back at the hotel where I quickly dozed off into a three hour nap. We ate some dinner at Chili's down the block and turned in at the hotel.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a test comment. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I have really enjoyed this link. I do not have a website. Please keep this going as the rest of us can travel there with you, sort of. My fear of leaving the U.S.A. is too real to go anywhere so Colin you are the man! Never take for granted this special time in your life; before marriage, before kids, before real life and all it's responsibilities. I wish I had done that when I was younger. Of course my dream opportunity was to go to Hawaii and I chickened out of that. You are learning a new culture, a new appreciation for others ways and a great ability to think on your feet. Plus the Lord is using you as a living testamony of his love for all. We love you, bye for now, Sharon